Ireland is a European country and due to her natural stunning beauty we also know her by the name of ”Emerald Island”
We are bringing you 10 lesser known but amazing facts about this magnificent country.
1. Dublin is proud of the fact that there is one pub per 100 inhabitants in the Irish capital. The oldest Irish pub – Sean’s Bar – is located in Athlone , and is believed to date from 900 AD.
2. The average Irishman each year drinks about 95 liters of beer and by that drinking tempo they are the sixth biggest consumers of beer in all of Europe. More beer is consumed in the Czech Republic, Germany , Austria, Estonia and Poland.
3. May is the driest month of the year in this country. Keep this in mind if you ever plan to visit the Emerald Island.
4. The Irish after retirement usually settle in the Canary Islands.
5. Ireland has the lowest number of reported sightings of unidentified flying objects ( UFO ) in the sky , of all European countries.
6. The White House was designed by the Irish architect James Hoban ,who emigrated from Callan in Kilkenny to the US after the American Revolutionary War.
7. Ireland in 2002 was the first country in the world to introduce a tax on plastic bags which can be purchased in stores and supermarkets.
8. “Muckanaghederdauhaulia” is a coastal town in County Galway , who bears the title of the longest name of a place in Ireland.
9. “Drisheen” is THE Irish national dish. It is a kind of black pudding made ??from pork meat, cow meat, pig and sheep blood , bread , cereals and fats.
10. The term ” boycott” comes from the Irish Captain James Boycott. For the first time officially used in an article of the magazine “Inter-Ocean” on October 12, 1880 .